Royal Automobile Club
The Royal Automobile Club building is a prestigious Grade II* listed building sitting in the heart of St. James, an area of London which is also referred to as Club Land. Originally constructed between 1909 and 1911, the building is a fine example of the architects Mewes and Davis' work.
EPR Architects was charged with the design of a new floor for an additional 22 bedrooms on the existing roof level. Due to the sensitive nature of the site, we worked closely with Westminster City Council and English Heritage to produce a design which responded to, and embraced, the existing, while allowing for the continuation for modernisation to meet current and future needs of this prestigious club. After the success of the 5th floor project EPR were commissioned to design a solution to connect the Clubhouse to their adjacent building, 83/85 Pall Mall, thus creating member access for a new suite of office spaces.
EPR found the solution by introducing a bridge link in the western lightwell which accommodated for the change in level between the two buildings and gave the members an important transition space between the traditional architecture of the Clubhouse and modern approach to the new office area. A creative design solution was found to accommodate a platform lift by concealing it within the architecture while allowing ease of use and level access to and from the clubhouse.
Client: Royal Automobile Club | Services: Architecture | Size: 22 guestrooms