EPR was appointed by Her Majesty’s Government as lead consultant within a team tasked with providing a new Visitor Centre in the Palace of Westminster. The conservation philosophy was to restore the historical fabric in such a way as to clearly differentiate between different periods of construction: new additions such as lift enclosures and handrails were designed to be seen.
A previously-redundant space adjacent to Westminster Hall (1394-1401) and overlooking the main courtyard was utilised to house catering, exhibition and WC facilities.
During the conversion, narrow archery slots dating back to an earlier 11th Century building were uncovered and subsequently incorporated into the design. Stone carvers’ initials dating back centuries were also left exposed.
Client: HM Government | Services: Architecture; Interior Design